Personal Financial Management Skills Of University Students and Their Financial Experiences During The Covid-19 Pandemic
Purpose: The main purpose of this study was to assess university students’ financial management skills and their financial experiences during the Covid-19 pandemic.
Research methodology: The research adopted the explanatory sequential mixed methods research design where a survey of 181 students on work-related learning was conducted using questionnaires and qualitative interviews. Data were analyzed using IBM SPSS Statistic 27
Results: The study established that the majority of the students do not have a budget, run out of money before receiving the next income, have no funds set aside for uncertainties or medical expenses related to the Covid-19 pandemic, and to make ends meet most of the students borrow money from relatives and friends. The majority of students struggled financially because of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Limitations: Questionnaires and interviews were only distributed/conducted online due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
Contribution: Personal financial management skills are a vital human capital skill for students. Therefore the need to explore such skills and financial experiences of University students during the Covid-19 pandemic for the first time.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
- Akinleye, O.S., Dauda, R. O., Iwegbu, O., & Popogbe, O.O . (2020). Impact of COVID-19 pandemic on financial health and food security in Nigeria: A Survey-based analysis. https://ssrn.com/abstract=3619245
- Andrew, A., & Tharanika, K. (2017). Factors influencing on saving behaviour among university students. International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences. https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Anthony-Andrew-2/publication/320959151_Factors_Influencing_On_Saving_Behaviour_Among_University_Students-_With_Special_Reference_to_the_Students_of_Faculty_Of_Commerce_and_Management_Eastern_University_Sri_Lanka/links/
- Aristovnik, A., Kerži?, D., Ravšelj, D., Tomaževi?, N., & Umek, L. (2020). Impacts of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Life of Higher Education Students: A Global Perspective. Sustainability, 12(20), 1–34. https://doi.org/10.3390/su12208438
- Azer, I., & Mohamad, S. A. (2018). Exploring Financial Management Practices and Problems among Students. International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, 8(12). https://doi.org/10.6007/ijarbss/v8-i12/5762
- Baburajan, P. K. (2021). Psychological impact of COVID-19 pandemic among expatriate residents in the UAE. Avicenna, 3(1), 1–10.
- Brahmana, R., & Memarist, G. (2017). Financial Planning Behaviour amoung the Young: Evidence from Malaysian University Students. G. & L. E. R., 21(2).
- Cao, W., & Li, T. (2020). COVID-19: towards understanding of pathogenesis. Cell Research, 30(5), 367–369. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41422-020-0327-4
- Creswell, J. W., & Creswell, J. D. (2017). Research Design Qualitative, Quantitative, and Mixed Methods Approaches: Vol. 5TH Edition.
- Chinedu, O.F, Dennis, M.O, & Chikwuemeka-Onuzulike, N. (2020). Impact of Covid-19 on the survival of Igbo owned businesses in Nigeria: the nexus. International Journal of Financial, Accounting, and Management, 2(2), 121–130. https://doi.org/10.35912/ijfam.v2i2.178
- Falahati, L., & Paim, L. (2011). Gender Differences In Financial Well-Being Among College Students. Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, 5(9), 1765–1776.
- Fatima, A. (2019). Cognitive dissonance and investors’ decision-making: A review. International Journal of Financial, Accounting, and Management, 1(1), 39–45. https://doi.org/10.35912/ijfam.v1i1.56
- Gerald, E., Obianuju, A., & Chukwunonso, N. (2020). Strategic agility and performance of small and medium enterprises in the phase of Covid-19 pandemic. International Journal of Financial, Accounting, and Management, 2(1), 41–50. https://doi.org/10.35912/ijfam.v2i1.163
- Kapoor, J. R., Dlabay, L. R., & Hughes, R. J. (2012). Personal finance.
- Kiyosaki, R., & Lechter, S. (2000). Cashflow quadrant.
- Lapan, S. D., MaryLynn, S. T., & Julia, R. . (2012). Qualitative research: an introduction to methods and designs: Vol. 1st Editio.
- Lusardi, A., & Mitchell, O. S. (2014). The economic importance of financial literacy: Theory and evidence. Journal of Economic Literature, 52(1), 5–44. https://doi.org/10.1257/JEL.52.1.5
- Madura, J. (2014). Personal finance.
- Maqsood, A., Saleem, J., Butt, M. S., Shahzad, R. B., Zubair, R., & Ishaq, M. (2021). Opinion article Effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on perceived stress levels of employees working in private organizations during lockdown. Avicenna, 7(2), 2–7.
- OECD/INFE. (2020). International Survey of Adult Financial Literacy. International Network of Financial Education, June.
- Olayinka, O. T. (2020). Social studies students’ knowledge, attitude and practice of concepts of sustainable development in Ondo City, Nigeria. International Journal of Financial, Accounting, and Management, 1(4), 221–233. https://doi.org/10.35912/ijfam.v1i4.153
- Owusu-Fordjour, 1i, C., Koomson, C. K., & Hanson, D. (2020). European Journal of Education Studies THE IMPACT OF COVID-19 ON LEARNING-THE PERSPECTIVE OF THE GHANAIAN STUDENT. European Journal of Education Studies, 7(3), 88–101. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.3753586
- Rakhi.N, Sara N, M. and Mohamad, H. (2011). Foundation of Sociological Theories.
- Reilly, F & Brown, K. (2011). Investment Analysis and Portfolio Management. https://books.google.co.zw/books?hl=en&lr=&id=ze0JAAAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PR4&dq=reilly+and+brown&ots=BlQMNaLeDm&sig=wKG4_mGHepPmL46cWuWkvAM8uX0&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=reilly and brown&f=false
- Styles, M. C. (2018). A Financial Epidemic: How Financial Literacy Affects College Students’ Financial Management Practices and the Debt Crisis in America Mikala Styles A Financial Epidemic: How Financial Literacy Affects College Students’ Financial Management Practices and the Debt Crisis in America. https://dc.etsu.edu/honors/444
- WHO. (2020). WHO COVID-19 Preparedness and Response Progress Report - 1 February to 30 June 2020. World Health Orgarnisation Publications.
- Yamane, T. (1967). Statistics?:an introductory analysis.
- Yue, P., Gizem Korkmaz, A., & Zhou, H. (2020). Emerging Markets Finance and Trade Household Financial Decision Making Amidst the COVID-19 Pandemic. Emerging Markets Finance and Trade, 56(10), 2363–2377. https://doi.org/10.1080/1540496X.2020.1784717