Structural equation model: Organizational performance among state universities and colleges in Philippines
Purpose: This study identifies the best model fit for organizational performance among state universities and colleges (SUCs) in Region XII, Philippines, influenced by innovation strategy and quality management practices.
Research methodology: The study design was descriptive-correlative. Since the design is descriptive, it provides a comprehensive explanation of organizational performance among SUCs in Region XII. Furthermore, the Mean and latent variable analysis (LAVAAN) using the r-studio package were the statistical measures employed to evaluate the hypothesis.
Results: The findings indicate that SUCs effectively fulfill their instructional, research, and extension functions, and their organizational performance is influenced by both innovation strategies and quality management practices. The developed model revealed a positive relationship between technological innovation, continuous improvement practices, and organizational performance. However, a negative relationship was observed between management innovation and support.
Limitations: This study was limited to SUCs in Region XII. The variables for organizational performance were limited to performance in instruction, research, and extension, while predictors of these performances revolved only in innovation strategy and quality management.
Contribution: The intended implementation of the model among SUCs aims to enhance their performance and align it with the mandates of the Commission on Higher Education (CHED). Overall, this study's output will contribute to the pool of knowledge, particularly in the field of educational management.
Novelty: The study not only provides a comprehensive understanding of organizational performance among SUCs but also develops a model that best fits organizational performance, which has not been done in previous studies.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
- Anoke, F., Ngozi, N. H., Uchechukwu, E. S., & Joyce, I. (2022). Entrepreneurial Marketing And SMEs Growth In Post Covid-19 Era In Awka, Anambra State, Nigeria. International Journal of Financial, Accounting, and Management, 4(2), 115-127.
- Antunes, M. G., Quirós, J. T., & Justino, M. d. R. F. (2017). The relationship between innovation and total quality management and the innovation effects on organizational performance. International Journal of Quality & Reliability Management, 34(9), 1474-1492.
- Awoku, R. Y. (2012). An empirical study on quality management practices, organization performance and suppliers' selection in Southern Minnesota manufacturing firms: Minnesota State University, Mankato.
- Bag, S. (2015). A short review on structural equation modeling: applications and future research directions. Journal of Supply Chain Management Systems, 4(3), 64-69.
- Bagshaw, K. B. (2017). Process and product design: production efficiency of manufacturing firms in Rivers State, Nigeria. Engineering Management Research, 6(1), 49-55.
- Baregheh, A., Rowley, J., & Sambrook, S. (2009). Towards a multidisciplinary definition of innovation. Management decision, 47(8), 1323-1339.
- Basera, V., Mwenje, J., & Ruturi, S. (2019). A snap on quality management in Zimbabwe: a perspectives review. Annals of Management and Organization Research, 1(2), 77-94.
- Bateman, T. S., & Snell, S. A. (2011). Management : leading & collaborating in a competitive world. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Cabaron, J. B. (2018). Organizational Performance of Higher Education Institutions in the Philippines. International Review of Social Sciences and Humanities.
- Casillano, N., Azura, A., Abenis, E., & Madeja, J. (2021). Comparative Historical Trends of Faculty Performance in Instruction, Research and Extension in a Philippine State University. Indian Journal of Science and Technology, 14(37), 2865-2870.
- Cimene, F. T. A., Talili, I. N., Telen, M. A. E., & Ya?ez, S. S. (2021). Quality assurance and school outcomes: A Philippine state university experience. American Journal of Multidisciplinary Research & Development (AJMRD), 3(07), 01-11.
- Darling-Hammond, L. (2010). Recruiting and retaining teachers: Turning around the race to the bottom in high-need schools. Journal of curriculum and instruction, 4(1), 16-32.
- DeClerk, C. (2008). The relationship between retail store manager leadership styles andemployee generational cohort, performance, and satisfaction. DM dissertation, University of Phoenix, United States, Arizona.
- Eltawy, N., & Gallear, D. (2017). Supply chain management within the Middle East business environment Islamic Marketing and Branding (pp. 221-234): Routledge.
- Franco?Santos, M., Kennerley, M., Micheli, P., Martinez, V., Mason, S., Marr, B., . . . Neely, A. (2007). Towards a definition of a business performance measurement system. International Journal of Operations & Production Management.
- Ganesh, R., Haslinda, A., & Raghavan, S. (2017). An investigation of academic and social integration in private higher education institution in Malaysia as a moderating variable in relations to satisfaction toward students’ retention. International Review of Management and Business Research, 6(4), 1543-1560.
- George, S., & Weimerskirch, A. (1998). TQM: Strategies and techniques proven at today's most successful companies: John Wiley & Sons, Inc, Etobicoke.
- Godbout-Kinney, K., & Watson, G. P. (2022). Institutional Approaches to Evaluate Teaching Effectiveness: The Role of Summative Peer Review of Teaching for Promotion and Tenure. Canadian Journal of Educational Administration and Policy(201), 2-14.
- Gunsayan, E. G., & Guhao Jr, E. S. (2020). A Structural Equation Model on Organizational Performance among Manufacturing Firms in Region XII, Philippines. Review of Integrative Business and Economics Research, 9, 390-428.
- Jaafreh, A. B., & Al-abedallat, A. Z. (2013). The effect of quality management practices on organizational performance in Jordan: An empirical study. International journal of financial research, 4(1), 93-109.
- Jayakumar, G. D. S., & Sulthan, A. (2014). Modelling: Employee perception on training and development. SCMS Journal of Indian Management, 11(2), 57.
- Jiménez-Jiménez, D., & Sanz-Valle, R. (2011). Innovation, organizational learning, and performance. Journal of Business Research, 64(4), 408-417.
- Kantardjieva, M. (2015). The relationship between total quality management (TQM) and strategic management. Journal of Economics, Business and Management, 3(5), 537-541.
- Karini, N. D., & Hasbullah, H. (2021). Improvement Analysis of customer complaints with Total Quality Management method in the food manufacturing Industry (2516-2314). Retrieved from
- Karlsson, C., & Tavassoli, S. (2015). Innovation strategies and firm performance. Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies Working Paper Series, 401, 1-31.
- Katz, B. R., Du Preez, N. D., & Schutte, C. S. L. (2010). Definition and role of an innovation strategy. Paper presented at the SAIIE conference proceedings.
- Khan, M. M. R. (2020). Strategic human resource management in facilitating the organizational performance: Birds-eye view from Bangladesh. Annals of Management and Organization Research, 2(1), 13-24.
- Kintu, P., & de Waal, A. (2021). Impact of structure and culture on organizational performance: the case of Uganda’s High Court. SN Business & Economics, 1(10), 123.
- Laguador, J. M., Dotong, C. I., & De Castro, E. A. (2014). The experience of Lyceum of the Philippines University-Batangas in getting ahead of accreditation and certification. International Journal of Social Sciences, Arts and Humanities, 2(2), 56-61.
- Lendel, V., & Varmus, M. (2011). Creation and implementation of the innovation strategy in the enterprise. Economics and management, 16(1), 819-826.
- Mariadoss, B. J., Tansuhaj, P. S., & Mouri, N. (2011). Marketing capabilities and innovation-based strategies for environmental sustainability: An exploratory investigation of B2B firms. Industrial Marketing Management, 40(8), 1305-1318.
- Motwani, J. (2001). Measuring critical factors of TQM. Measuring Business Excellence.
- Nekoueizadeh, S., & Esmaeili, S. (2013). A study of the impact of TQM on organizational performance of the Telecommunication Industry in Iran. European Online Journal of Natural and Social Sciences: Proceedings, 2(3 (s)), pp. 968-978.
- Neyestani, B., & Juanzon, J. B. P. (2016). Developing an appropriate performance measurement framework for total quality management in construction, and other industries.
- Ngambi, M. T., & Nkemkiafu, A. G. (2015). The impact of total quality management on firm's organizational performance. American Journal of Management, 15(4), 69.
- Nyaga, D., & Gakobo, J. (2017). Effect of quality management practices on organizational performance of savings and credit co-operatives in Kirinyaga County, Kenya. International Academic Journal of Human Resource and Business Administration, 2(4), 306-328.
- Permana, A., Purba, H. H., & Rizkiyah, N. D. (2021). A systematic literature review of Total Quality Management (TQM) implementation in the organization. International Journal of Production Management and Engineering, 9(1), 25-36.
- Pisano, G. P. (2015). You need an innovation strategy. Harvard Business Review, 93(6), 44-54.
- Ramlawati, R. (2018). Total quality management as the key of the company to gain the comrtitiveness, performance achievement and consumer satisfaction. International Review of Management and Marketing, 8(4), 60-69.
- Sallis, E. (2014). Total Quality Management in Education: Routledge.
- Satish, K., & Srinivasan, R. (2010). Total quality management and innovation performance: An empirical study on the interrelationships and effects. South Asian Journal of Management, 17(3), 8.
- Saxena, A., & Khanna, U. (2013). Advertising on social network sites: A structural equation modelling approach. Vision, 17(1), 17-25.
- Sedanza, N. C. (2018). Research and extension participation, performance and motivation of the Leyte Normal University faculty: Input to policy redirection. International Journal of Research-Granthaalayah, 6(11), 184-199.
- Short, J. C., Ketchen Jr, D. J., Palmer, T. B., & Hult, G. T. M. (2007). Firm, strategic group, and industry influences on performance. Strategic management journal, 28(2), 147-167.
- Thomas, S., & Bhasi, M. (2011). A Structural Model for Software Project Risk Management. Vilakshan: The XIMB Journal of Management, 7(3).
- Tsai, C.-C., & Chai, C. S. (2012). The" third"-order barrier for technology-integration instruction: Implications for teacher education. Australasian Journal of Educational Technology, 28(6).
- Tuan, N., Nhan, N., Giang, P., & Ngoc, N. (2016). The effects of innovation on firm performance of supporting industries in Hanoi, Vietnam. Journal of Industrial Engineering and Management, 9(2), 413-431.
- Ulabor, E. A., & Bosede, A. I. (2019). Employee commitment and organizational performance in selected fast food outlets in Osun State. International Journal of Financial, Accounting, and Management, 1(1), 23-37.
- Zaied, R. M. B., Louati, H., & Affes, H. (2015). The relationship between organizational innovations, internal sources of knowledge and organizational performance. International Journal of Managing Value and Supply Chains, 6(1), 53-67.
- Žitkien?, R., & Deksnys, M. (2018). Organizational agility conceptual model.