ChatGPT as an academic support tool on the academic performance among students: The mediating role of learning motivation
Purpose: This study aimed to investigate the mediating role of learning motivation in the association between ChatGPT, which was employed as an academic support tool, and students' academic performance.
Methodology/approach: This study employed a mixed-method triangulation research design to investigate the correlation between the use of ChatGPT for academic support, learning motivation, and student performance. The study utilized a mediation analysis employing K.. Preacher and Hayes ’s(2008) Approach. The study comprised a sample of 178 learners enrolled in a secondary educational institution in Lal-lo, Cagayan, the Philippines, and was selected using purposive sampling.
Results: The research findings demonstrated that the influence of ChatGPT as an educational aid on students' academic performance is fully mediated by their learning motivation. The utilization of the ChatGPT has been observed to have a positive impact on academic performance by enhancing learning motivation. Effective and ethical employment of ChatGPT plays a significant role in promoting educational progress and enhancing academic achievement among students, thereby fostering their motivation to acquire knowledge.
Limitations: This study did not incorporate additional variables that may impact the association between ChatGPT as an academic support tool, learning motivation, and students’ academic performance.
Contribution: Understanding the mediating role of learning motivation can offer valuable insights for educational professionals and policymakers to develop effective interventions that utilize AI-based tools to strengthen students' motivation and, as a result, improve their academic performance.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
- Agapito, J. J. (2023). User Perceptions and Privacy Concerns Related to Using ChatGPT in Conversational AI Systems. Available at SSRN 4440366.
- Ahmadi, A. (2023). ChatGPT: Exploring the threats and opportunities of artificial intelligence in the age of chatbots. Asian Journal of Computer Science and Technology, 12(1), 25-30.
- Aithal, S., & Aithal, P. (2023). Effects of AI-Based ChatGPT on Higher Education Libraries. International Journal of Management, Technology, and Social Sciences (IJMTS), 8(2), 95-108.
- AlAfnan, M. A., Dishari, S., Jovic, M., & Lomidze, K. (2023). Chatgpt as an educational tool: Opportunities, challenges, and recommendations for communication, business writing, and composition courses. Journal of Artificial Intelligence and Technology, 3(2), 60-68.
- Asika, M. O. (2021). Self-concept, self-efficacy and self esteem as predictors of academic performance in mathematics among junior secondary school students in Edo state. International Journal of Educational Studies, 4(2), 65-74.
- Brenner, C. A. (2022). Self-regulated learning, self-determination theory and teacher candidates’ development of competency-based teaching practices. Smart Learning Environments, 9(1), 1-14.
- Caratiquit, K. (2022a). Mediating effects of protective factors on COVID-19 anxiety and academic performance of K to 12 Filipino Learners: A PLS-SEM analysis with WarpPLS. Journal of Social, Humanity, and Education, 2(3).
- Caratiquit, K. (2022b). YouTube Videos as Supplementary Materials to Enhance Computer Troubleshooting and Repair Techniques for Senior High School Students in the Philippines. Available at SSRN 4205605.
- Caratiquit, K., & Pablo, R. (2021). Exploring the practices of secondary school teachers in preparing for classroom observation amidst the new normal of education. Journal of Social, Humanity, and Education.
- Caratiquit, K. D., & Caratiquit, L. J. C. (2023). Influence of social media addiction on academic achievement in distance learning: Intervening role of academic procrastination. Turkish Online Journal of Distance Education, 24(1), 1-19.
- Caratiquit, L. J., & Caratiquit, K. (2022). Influence of Technical Support on Technology Acceptance Model to Examine the Project PAIR E-Learning System in Distance Learning Modality. Participatory Educational Research, 9(5), 467-485.
- Chan, C. K. Y. (2023). A comprehensive AI policy education framework for university teaching and learning. International journal of educational technology in higher education, 20(1), 1-25.
- Cheng, H.-W. (2023). Challenges and Limitations of ChatGPT and Artificial Intelligence for Scientific Research: A Perspective from Organic Materials. AI, 4(2), 401-405.
- Chiu, T. K., Moorhouse, B. L., Chai, C. S., & Ismailov, M. (2023). Teacher support and student motivation to learn with Artificial Intelligence (AI) based chatbot. Interactive Learning Environments, 1-17.
- Dai, Y., Liu, A., & Lim, C. P. (2023). Reconceptualizing ChatGPT and generative AI as a student-driven innovation in higher education.
- Duchatelet, D., & Donche, V. (2019). Fostering self-efficacy and self-regulation in higher education: a matter of autonomy support or academic motivation? Higher education research & development, 38(4), 733-747.
- Ekin, S. (2023). Prompt Engineering For ChatGPT: A Quick Guide To Techniques, Tips, And Best Practices.
- Hassani, H., & Silva, E. S. (2023). The role of ChatGPT in data science: how ai-assisted conversational interfaces are revolutionizing the field. Big data and cognitive computing, 7(2), 62.
- Javaid, M., Haleem, A., Singh, R. P., Khan, S., & Khan, I. H. (2023). Unlocking the opportunities through ChatGPT Tool towards ameliorating the education system. BenchCouncil Transactions on Benchmarks, Standards and Evaluations, 3(2), 100115.
- Juhász, L., Mooney, P., Hochmair, H. H., & Guan, B. (2023). ChatGPT as a mapping assistant: A novel method to enrich maps with generative AI and content derived from street-level photographs. arXiv preprint arXiv:2306.03204.
- Khaneghahi, S., Nasripour, F., & MahmoudZehi, M. A. (2022). Investigating the relationship between e-learning and mobile learning on students' academic self-handicapping during the outbreak of COVID-19. Journal of Social, Humanity, and Education, 2(3), 269-281.
- Lee, D., & Yeo, S. (2022). Developing an AI-based chatbot for practicing responsive teaching in mathematics. Computers & education, 191, 104646.
- Lee, H. (2023). The rise of ChatGPT: Exploring its potential in medical education. Anatomical sciences education.
- Lee, Y. K. (2022). How complex systems get engaged in fashion design creation: Using artificial intelligence. Thinking Skills and Creativity, 46, 101137.
- Liu, Y., Hau, K. T., Liu, H., Wu, J., Wang, X., & Zheng, X. (2020). Multiplicative effect of intrinsic and extrinsic motivation on academic performance: A longitudinal study of Chinese students. Journal of personality, 88(3), 584-595.
- Loh, E. (2023). ChatGPT and generative AI chatbots: challenges and opportunities for science, medicine and medical leaders. BMJ leader, leader-2023-000797.
- Lu, C., & Cutumisu, M. (2022). Online engagement and performance on formative assessments mediate the relationship between attendance and course performance. International journal of educational technology in higher education, 19(1), 2.
- Mhlanga, D. (2023). The Value of Open AI and Chat GPT for the Current Learning Environments and the Potential Future Uses. Available at SSRN 4439267.
- Mohamed, A. M. (2023). Exploring the potential of an AI-based Chatbot (ChatGPT) in enhancing English as a Foreign Language (EFL) teaching: perceptions of EFL Faculty Members. Education and Information Technologies, 1-23.
- Muñoz, S. A. S., Gayoso, G. G., Huambo, A. C., Tapia, R. D. C., Incaluque, J. L., Aguila, O. E. P., . . . Arias-Gonzáles, J. L. (2023). Examining the Impacts of ChatGPT on Student Motivation and Engagement. Social Space, 23(1), 1-27.
- Nichter, S. (2021). Does mode of access make a difference? Mobile learning and online student engagement. Online Learning, 25(3), 5-17.
- Preacher, K. J., & Hayes, A. F. (2004). SPSS and SAS procedures for estimating indirect effects in simple mediation models. Behavior research methods, instruments, & computers, 36(4), 717-731.
- Preacher, K. J., & Hayes, A. F. (2008). Contemporary approaches to assessing mediation in communication research The SAGE Sourcebook of Advanced Data Analysis Methods for Communication Research.
- Rahman, M. M., & Watanobe, Y. (2023). ChatGPT for education and research: Opportunities, threats, and strategies. Applied Sciences, 13(9), 5783.
- Ran, H., Kim, N. J., & Secada, W. G. (2022). A meta?analysis on the effects of technology's functions and roles on students' mathematics achievement in K?12 classrooms. Journal of computer assisted learning, 38(1), 258-284.
- Rasdi, R. M., Hamzah, S. R. a., & Yean, T. F. (2020). Exploring self-leadership development of Malaysian women entrepreneurs. Advances in Developing Human Resources, 22(2), 189-200.
- Ray, P. P. (2023). ChatGPT: A comprehensive review on background, applications, key challenges, bias, ethics, limitations and future scope. Internet of Things and Cyber-Physical Systems.
- Roumeliotis, K. I., & Tselikas, N. D. (2023). ChatGPT and Open-AI Models: A Preliminary Review. Future Internet, 15(6), 192.
- Sarker, B. K. (2023). Enhanced Student Class Attendance by Using Concept of Flipped Classroom Approach. Journal of Social, Humanity, and Education, 3(2), 105-117.
- Sebastian, G. (2023). Privacy and Data Protection in ChatGPT and Other AI Chatbots: Strategies for Securing User Information. Available at SSRN 4454761.
- Wardat, Y., Tashtoush, M. A., AlAli, R., & Jarrah, A. M. (2023). ChatGPT: A revolutionary tool for teaching and learning mathematics. EURASIA Journal of Mathematics, Science and Technology Education, 19(7), em2286.
- Zaremba, A., & Demir, E. (2023). ChatGPT: Unlocking the future of NLP in finance. Available at SSRN 4323643.