The effect of supply chain management challenges on research and development projects using Fuzzy DEMATEL and TOPSIS approach
Purpose: This paper aimed to identify, classify and prioritize supply chain management challenges for research-development projects in the R&D organization.
Research Methodology: Based on previous literature and interview with related experts, the initial challenges of SCM for research-development projects in Iran organization were extracted. Thereafter, the identified challenges were finalized, classified, and prioritized. For this purpose, a semi-interview and questionnaire were designed, applied, and then analyzed using some statistical methods. Validation of the results was done through several interviews. Finally, the necessary modifications were made to the factors of environmental sustainability associated with the COVID-19 crisis.
Results: In this study, the challenges of SCM for research-development projects in Iran organization were divided into six categories: cultural, motivational, contextual, process, infrastructural, and capabilities. Thereafter, suggested solutions were presented which describe how the challenges of SCM in research-development projects may be removed progressively.
Limitations: This research is only described in project-based organizations. The study was limited to construction projects in different cities of Iran.
Contribution: The prioritized challenges of SCM are a guideline for managers or decision-makers of R&D projects which will enable them, resolve challenges or improve on decision making. It also serves as a useful base for researchers to expand further research concerning the challenges of SCM in other research-development organizations. This study may present high value for researchers in the SCM field for research-development projects. Also, this study presents several solutions for the improvement of challenges considering the level of their importance to SCM.
- Ala-Risku, T., & Kärkkäinen, M. (2006). Material delivery problems in construction projects: A possible solution. International Journal of Production Economics, 104(1), 19-29.
- Asbjrnslett, B., (1998). Project supply chain management. Bringing supply chain management to project management. Bremen, German Logistics Congress, BVL.
- Basu, R. & Wright, J. N., (2008). Total Supply Chain Management. 1nd ed. s.l.:Elsevier 260-263.
- Borodako, K., Berbeka, J., Rudnicki, M., & Łapczyński, M. (2019). The contribution of human capital to the performance of Knowledge-Intensive Business Services. Annals of Management and Organization Research, 1(2), 141-153. https://doi.org/10.35912/amor.v1i2.338
- Burton, N., & Lanciault, D. (1999). Creating supply advantage for oil and gas companies with strategic procurement. Oil & Gas Journal, 97(44), 54-54.
- Caron, F., Marchet, G., & Perego, A. (1998). Project logistics: integrating the procurement and construction processes. International journal of project management, 16(5), 311-319.
- Cousins, P. D., & Spekman, R. (2003). Strategic supply and the management of inter-and intra-organisational relationships. Journal of Purchasing and supply Management, 9(1), 19-29.
- Dainty, A. R., Millett, S. J., & Briscoe, G. H. (2001). New perspectives on construction supply chain integration. Supply chain management: An international journal.
- Edum-Fotwe, F. T., Thorpe, A., & McCaffer, R. (2001). Information procurement practices of key actors in construction supply chains. European Journal of Purchasing & Supply Management, 7(3), 155-164.
- Forozandeh, M., Teimoury, E., & Makui, A. (2018). A model for network design of supply chain management in research projects. Uncertain Supply Chain Management, 6(4), 407-422.
- Forozandeh, M., Teimoury, E., & Makui, A. (2019). A mathematical formulation of time-cost and reliability optimization for supply chain management in research-development projects. RAIRO-Operations Research, 53(4), 1385-1406.
- Forozandeh, M.,(2015). Developing a model for intra-organisation project management. Quality and Standard Management, 5(2).
- Gattorna, J., (2005). Grower handbook of supply chain management. 5 edition ed. s.l.:s.n.
- Ghorbani, S., & Shafaghat, A. (2020). Representing a conceptual model for integrating Project Management Information Systems in project-based organizations. Annals of Management and Organization Research, 1(3), 235-249. https://doi.org/10.35912/amor.v1i3.446.
- Hetland, P., (1999) . Project uncertainties and complexities. A framework for complex projects and complex strategies. Stavanger: European Programme for Project Executives.
- Kanji, G. & Wong, A., (1998). Quality culture in the construction industry. In Total Quality Management, 9(4-5), 133-140.
- Kerzner, H. (2018). Project management best practices: Achieving global excellence. John Wiley & Sons.
- Khalfan, M. M., Anumba, C. J., Siemieniuch, C. E., & Sinclair, M. A. (2001). Readiness Assessment of the construction supply chain for concurrent engineering. European Journal of Purchasing & Supply Management, 7(2), 141-153.
- Kim, J. S., Ritzman, L. P., Benton, W. C., & Snyder, D. L. (1992). Linking product planning and process design decisions. Decision Sciences, 23(1), 44-60.
- Laínez, J. M., Kopanos, G. M., Badell, M., Espuña, A., & Puigjaner, L. (2008). Integrating strategic, tactical and operational supply chain decision levels in a model predictive control framework. In Computer Aided Chemical Engineering. Elsevier, 25, 477-482.
- Madadi, E., (2008). The role of right management of supply chain in shaduling of complex projects. s.l., Third International Management Confrance.
- Mohamed, S., & Tucker, S. (1996). Options for applying BPR in the Australian construction industry. International Journal of Project Management, 14(6), 379-385.
- Moradi, A. M., & Beigi, N. A. K. (2020). Strategic management of organizational resources using predicting the organization’s bankruptcy level: New approach using Monte Carlo Simulation. Annals of Management and Organization Research, 2(2), 113-127. https://doi.org/10.35912/amor.v2i2.615.
- Morris, P. W., & Pinto, J. K. (Eds.). (2010). The Wiley guide to project technology, supply chain, and procurement management. John Wiley & Sons, 7.
- Nassimbeni, G. (1998). Network structures and co‐ordination mechanisms: a taxonomy. International journal of operations & production management
- Palaneeswaran, E., Kumaraswamy, M., & Ng, S. T. (2003). Formulating a framework for relationally integrated construction supply chains. Journal of Construction Research, 4(02), 189-205.
- Parrod, N., Thierry, C., Fargier, H., & Cavaille, J. B. (2007). Cooperative subcontracting relationship within a project supply chain: A simulation approach. Simulation Modelling Practice and Theory, 15(2), 137-152.
- Ritchie, B., & Brindley, C. (2007). Supply chain risk management and performance: A guiding framework for future development. International Journal of Operations & Production Management..
- Schultzel, H. J., & Unruh, V. P. (1996). Successful partnering: Fundamentals for project owners and contractors. John Wiley & Sons
- Seneviratne, S. M. C., & Kalpani, G. (2020). Environmental management accounting and waste management practices: A case of a manufacturing company. Annals of Management and Organization Research, 2(2), 97-112. https://doi.org/10.35912/amor.v2i2.700
- Shapiro, J. F. (2004). Challenges of strategic supply chain planning and modeling. Computers & Chemical Engineering, 28(6-7), 855-861.
- Silver, E. A. (1989). Materials management in large-scale construction projects: Some concerns and research issues. Engineering Costs and Production Economics, 15, 223-229.
- Simchi-Levi, D., Kaminsky, P., Simchi-Levi, E., & Shankar, R. (2008). Designing and managing the supply chain: concepts, strategies and case studies. Tata McGraw-Hill Education.
- Tam, V. W., Shen, L. Y., & Kong, J. S. (2011). Impacts of multi-layer chain subcontracting on project management performance. International Journal of Project Management, 29(1), 108-116.
- Ülkü, S., & Schmidt, G. M. (2011). Matching product architecture and supply chain configuration. Production and Operations Management, 20(1), 16-31.
- Vollmann, T., Cordon, C., & Raabe, H. (1995). From supply chain management to demand chain management. IMD Perspectives for Managers, (9).
- Vrijhoef, R., & Koskela, L. (2000). The four roles of supply chain management in construction. European Journal of Purchasing & Supply Management, 6(3-4), 169-178.
- Xue, X., Li, X., Shen, Q., & Wang, Y. (2005). An agent-based framework for supply chain coordination in construction. Automation in construction, 14(3), 413-430.
- Yeo, K. T., & Ning, J. H. (2002). Integrating supply chain and critical chain concepts in engineer-procure-construct (EPC) projects. International Journal of Project Management, 20(4), 253-262.
- Yeo, K. T., & Ning, J. H. (2006). Managing uncertainty in major equipment procurement in engineering projects. European Journal of Operational Research, 171(1), 123-134.
- Young, T. L. (2007). The handbook of project management: a practical guide to effective policies, techniques and processes. Kogan Page Publishers.
- Zailani, S., & Rajagopal, P. (2005). Supply chain integration and performance: US versus East Asian companies. Supply Chain Management: An International Journal.