Organizational climate and employee engagement: A commercial bank perspective in Southeast Nigeria
Purpose: This study aimed to ascertain the role organizational climate could play in galvanizing the employees of commercial banks in southeast Nigeria for better performance through exhibiting greater engagement to their jobs and organizations.
Research methodology: Survey Research Design was employed for the study. The study population consisted of 988 employees of 50 randomly selected commercial banks in the region studied. Data were elicited through a structured questionnaire while the analysis was carried out using Simple Regression Analysis and hypothesis tested at a 5% level of significance.
Results: The findings showed that there is a statistically significant relationship between Distributive Justice Climate and Job Satisfaction in Microfinance Banks in South-East Nigeria (r = .962; R-Square = .926; F = 5865.689; p-value<.05) and that there is a statistically significant relationship existing between Open Communication Climate and Positive Meaning in Microfinance Banks in South-East Nigeria (r = .982; R-Square = .965; F = 13000.304; p-value<.05).
Limitations: Because of the concentration of commercial banks in Anambra state, most of the banks selected for the study through a random method were from Anambra State. This could affect the generalizability of the findings.
Contribution: This study contributed to the already existing body of knowledge on Organizational Climate and Employee Engagement. The study also revealed empirical results of the relationship between the variables of the study, specifically in commercial banks in South-East Nigeria.
- Adekanbi, J.A. (2000). Organizational Behaviour: Understanding and Application. Ondo: Sylva Publisher Limited.
- Adeniji, A. A. (2012). A Multi-Frame Application of Organizational Climate Perception and Job Element Satisfaction in a Higher Educational Environment.
- Afolabi, O. A. (2005). Influence of Organizational climate and Locus of Control on Job Satisfaction and Turnover Intentions. IFE PsychologIA, 13(2), 102-113.
- Agbasi, E. O., Arachie, A. E., & Onyekwelu, N. P. (2021). Career plateauing and employee turnover intentions: a civil service perspective. International Journal of Management & Entrepreneurship Research, 3(4), 175-188.
- Agu, O. L. (2015). Work Engagement, Organizational Commitment, Self Efficacy and Organizational Growth: A Literature Review. Journal of Information and Knowledge Management, 6(1), 14-29
- Ajila, C. K. (2012). Leadership Styles and Organizational Climate as Determinants of Job Involvement and Job Satisfaction of Workers in Tertiary Institutions. Business and Management Research, 1(3), 28-36.
- Akbolat, M., Isik, O., Yilmaz, A., & Akca, N. (2015). The Effect of Organizational Justice Perception on Job Satisfaction of Health Employees. International Journal of Recent Advances in Organizational Behaviour and Decision Sciences, 1(2), 360-372.
- Ali, M.,&Saifullah, Z.(2014).Distributive and procedural Justice as Predictors of Job Satisfaction and Organizational Commitment: A Case Study of Banking Sector of Balochistan. Journal of Information Engineering and Applications, 4(11), 25-30.
- Allen, D.K. (2003). Organizational climate and strategic change in higher education: Organizational insecurity. Higher Education, 46 (1), 61−92.
- Al-Shammari, M. M (1992). Organizational Climate. Leadership & Organization Development Journal, 13(6), 30 – 32.
- Alvi, A. K., & Abbasi, A. S. (2012). Impact of organizational justice on employee engagement in Banking sector of Pakistan. Middle-East Journal of Scientific Research, 12(5), 643-649.
- Bakker, A. B., Schaufeli, W. B., Leiter, M. P., & Taris, T. W. (2008). Work engagement: An emerging concept in occupational health psychology. Work & Stress, 22(3), 187-200.
- Baumeister, R. F., & Vohs, K. D. (2005). The pursuit of meaningfulness in life. In C. R. Snyder & S. J. Lopez (Eds.), Handbook of positive psychology: 608–618. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
- Beigi, N. A. K., & Moradi, A. M. (2020). Strategic management of organizational resources using predicting the organization's bankruptcy level: New approach using Monte Carlo simulation. Annals of Management and Organization Research, 2(2), 113-127.
- Billingsley, B.S.,& Cross, L.H. (2002). Predictors of Commitment Job Satisfaction and Intent to Stay in Teaching: A Comparison of General and Special Education. The Journal of Special Education. 25(5), 461-480.
- Burton, R.M., Lauridsen, J.,& Obel, B. (2004).‘The Impact of Organizational Climate and Strategic Fit on Firm Performance’. Human Resource Management, 43(1): 67–82.
- Colquitt. A. J., Conlon, D.E., Wesson, M.J., Porter, O.L.H.& Yee N. K. (2001). Justice at the Millennium. Journal of Applied Psychology, 86(3), 425-445.
- Corporate Leadership Council of Canada. (2004). Report on driving performance and retention through employee engagement.
- Edem, U. S., & Lawal, OO (2006). Job Satisfaction and Publication Output among Librarians in Nigeria Universities. Library Management, 20(2).39-46.
- Emery, C. R., & Barker, K. J. (2007). Effect of commitment, job involvement and teams on customer satisfaction and profit. Team performance management, 13(3&4), 90-101.
- Fajana, S. (2001). The Nigerian Informal Sector: Freeing the Hidden Potential and Raising Standards. Poster Session Paper Submitted to The Global Employment Forum, Geneva.
- Fauziah, N., Safiah, O., Syakirarohan, S., &Shukriah, I. (2010). Organizational Climate and Its Influence On Organizational Commitment. International Business & Economics Research Journal, 9(2), 1-9.
- Gerber, F. J. (2003). Die involved van organizational climate op works motivation [The influence of organizational climate on work motivation]. Unpublished MComm dissertation, University of South Africa, Pretoria.
- Ghorbani, S., & Khanachah, S. N. (2020). Investigating the reasons for failures and delays in R&D projects with the project management approach. Annals of Management and Organization Research, 1(4), 319-334.
- Gozukara, I. (2017). From Mentoring to Career Satisfaction: The Roles of Distributive Justice and Organizational Commitment. Journal of Management and Strategy, 8(1), 61.
- Hart, P.M., Wearing, A.J., Conn, M., Carter, N.L. & Dingle, A.R.K. (2000). Development of the School Organizational Health Questionnaire: A measure for assessing teacher morale and school organizational climate. British Journal of Educational Psychology, 70(2), 211–228.
- Ijaduola, K. O. (2008). An Investigation into Communication Climate and Staff Efficiency in South-Western Nigeria Tertiary Institutions.
- Jha, P., & Pathak, G.W. (2003). A comparative study of job satisfaction in the post-liberation scenario among executives of private and public sector organizations. Journal of Indian Management Studies, 7, 21-31.
- Johnsrud, L.K. (2002). Measuring the quality of faculty and administrative Worklife: implications for college and university campuses. Research in Higher Edu. 43, 379-395.
- Kao, R. H. (2015). A study on the relationship between transformational leadership and organizational climate: Using HLM to Analyze Context effects of Police Organization. Glob. Advanced Research Journal of Management and Business Studies, 4(3), 087- 115.
- Kaur, R. (2015). Influence of Organizational Climate on Job Satisfaction of Elementary School Teacher in Relation to Their Type of School and Gender, Parent Category, 4(1).
- Khan, J. A., Jan, S., & Baloch, Q. B. (2017). The Impact of Organizational Justice on Career Satisfaction of Employees in the Public Sector Organizations of Pakistan. Journal of Managerial Sciences, 11(3)137-152
- Khan, M. M. R. (2020). Strategic human resource management in facilitating the organizational performance: birds-eye view from Bangladesh. Annals of Management and Organization Research, 2(1), 13-24.
- Macey, W. H., & Schneider, B. (2008). The meaning of employee engagement. Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 1, 3-30.
- Malik. N. (2011). Study on job satisfaction factors of faculty members at University of Balochistan. International Journal of Academic Research, 3(1).
- Martínez-Tur, V., Peiró, J., Ramos, J., & Moliner, C. (2006). Justice Perceptions as Predictors of Customer Satisfaction: The Impact of Distributive, Procedural, and Interactional Justice. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 36(1), 100-119.
- Moran, E. T., & Volkwein, J. F (2002). The Cultural Approach to the Information of Organizational Climate. Human Relations Journal, 45(3), 19-47.
- Oladipo, S. E. (2013). Perceived Organizational Climate and Job Motivation as Predictors of Teachers’ Attitude to Work. Nigerian Journal of Applied Behavioural Sciences, 1, 1-10.
- Olajide (2015). Effects of Organizational Structure on Job Satisfaction in the Nigerian Financial Sector: Empirical insight from Selected Banks in Lagos State. NG-Journal of Social Development, 5(1), 96-108.
- Olibie, E. I., Uzoechina, G. O., & Eziuzor, G. O. (2015). Organizational climate types prevailing in public and private secondary schools in Delta North Senatorial Zone of Delta State Nigeria. International Journal of Educational Policy Research and Review, 2(4), 47-51.
- Özdevecioglu, M. (2003). Algılanan Örgütsel Adaletin Bireylerarası Saldırgan Davranışlar Üzerindeki Etkilerinin Belirlenmesine Yönelik Bir Araştırma. Erciyes Üniversitesi İktisadi ve İdari Bilimler Fakültesi Dergisi, 21, 77-96.
- Potosky, D., & Ramakrishna, H. (2001). Goal Orientation, Self -Efficacy, Organizational Climate and Job Performance. Academy of Management, 2(6),571.
- Rahimić, Z. (2013). Influence of Organizational Climate on Job Satisfaction in Bosnia and Herzegovina Companies. International Business Research, 6 (3), 129-139.
- Rothbard, N. P. (2001). Enriching or depleting? The dynamics of engagement in work and family role. Administrative Science Quarterly, 46, 655-684.
- Ram, P., Bhargavi, S. G., & Prabhakar, G. V. (2011). Work Environment, Service Climate, and Customer Satisfaction: Examining Theoretical and Empirical Connections. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 2(20), 121- 132
- Reichers, A. E (2006). A Review and Reconceptualisation of Organizational Commitment. Academy of Management Review, 10(3), 465-476.
- Salanova, M., Agut, S.,& Peiro, J. M. (2005). Linking organizational resources and work engagement to employee performance and customer loyalty: the mediation of service climate. Journal of Applied Psychology, 90, 1217-27.
- Sanad, A. A. (2016). Organizational Climate and its Relationship to Job Satisfaction in Kuwaiti Industrial Companies. Asian Journal of Management Science and Economics, 3(2), 38-47.
- Sareshkeh, S. K., Ghaziani, F. G., & Tayebi, S. M. (2012). Impact of organizational justice perception on job satisfaction and organizational commitment: The Iranian sports federation perspective. Annals of Biological Research, 3(8), 4229-4238.
- Schaufeli, W. B., & Bakker, A. B. (2003). Test manual for the Utrecht Work Engagement Scale. Unpublished manuscript, Utrecht University, The Netherlands.
- Schaufeli, W.B., Bakker, A.B., & Salanova, M. (2006). The measurement of work engagement with a short questionnaire: a cross-national study. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 66(4), 701-716.
- Tukiainen, T. (2001). An agenda model of organizational communication, corporate Communication. An International Journal, (6)1, 47- 52
- Tutar, H. (2007). Erzurum’da Devlet ve Özel Hastanelerde Çalışan Sağlık Personelinin İşlem Adaleti, İş Tatmini ve Duygusal Bağlılık Durumlarının İncelenmesi. Süleyman Demirel Üniversitesi İktisadi ve İdari Bilimler Fakültesi Dergisi, 12(3), 97‐120.
- Umoh, G. I., Amah, E., & Wokocha, H. (2013). Organizational Climate and Corporate Performance: The Nigerian Experience. European Journal of Business and Management, 5(21), 119-129.
- Viljoen, RC (2009). Sustainable Organizational Transformation through Inclusivity.http://uir.unisa.ac.za/bitstream/10500/726/2/00thesis.pdfAccessed on 3/3/10
- Warne, L. Ali, I. Pascoe, C. (2003) "Social Learning and Knowledge Management - A Journey through the Australian Defence Organization: the final report of the Enterprise Social Learning Architectures Task", DSTO RR 0257 AR 012 854, Defence Systems Analysis Division, DSTO Information Sciences Laboratories, South Australia.
- Weiss H. M. (2002). Deconstructing job satisfaction: separating evaluations, beliefs and affective experiences. Human Resource Management Review, 12, 173-194.
- Wrzesniewski, A., McCauley, C., Rozin, P., & Schwartz, B. (1997). Jobs, careers, and callings: People’s relations to their work. Journal of Research in Personality, 31, 21–33.
- Wrzesniewski, A.,LoBuglio, N., Dutton, J., & Berg, J. (2013). Job Crafting and Cultivating Positive Meaning and Identity in Work. Advances in Positive Organizational Psychology, 1, 281–302 by Emerald Group Publishing Limited.
- Yee, P., & Ananthalakshmi, M. (2017). A Study on The Impact of Organizational Climate on Employee Performance in a Malaysian Constancy Firm. International Journal of Accounting & Business Management, 5(1), 1-13.