Representing a conceptual model for integrating Project Management Information Systems in project-based organizations
Purpose: This paper aimed to introduce a comprehensive model for integrating project management information systems in project-based organizations.
Research methodology: The proposed model is presented hierarchically through a comprehensive literature review and a review of several national projects in Iran. Validation of this model was done in two ways. On the one hand, expert opinions were asked about it through several interviews. On the other hand, the model was used in some national projects and its deficiencies were identified. Finally, the necessary modifications were made to the model.
Results: In this study, it became clear that a comprehensive, integrated project management information system at its macro level should consist of three subsystems, including project warden, project administrator and project employer that mutual exchange of information should be done well between them. It was also found that this mutual information exchange should also exist among the components of each of these subsystems.
Limitation: This research only described in project based organizations.
Contribution: The Project Management Information System (PMIS) model provided in this research is the most comprehensive models in this scope for project-based organizations that have considered all aspects of project management.
Keywords: Project management, PMIS, Project-based organizations, Integrated model
- Alalwan, A. A., Dwivedi, Y. K., Rana, N. P., & Williams, M. D. (2016). Consumer adoption of mobile banking in Jordan: Examining the role of usefulness, ease of use, perceived risk and self-efficacy. Journal of Enterprise Information Management.
- Alavi, M., Kayworth, T. R., & Leidner, D. E. (2005). An empirical examination of the influence of organizational culture on knowledge management practices. Journal of management information systems, 22(3), 191-224.
- Ard, B. (2013). Confidentiality and the problem of third parties: Protecting reader privacy in the age of intermediaries. Yale JL & Tech., 16, 1.
- Badiru, A. B., & Osisanya, S. O. (2016). Project management for the oil and gas industry: a world system approach. CRC Press.
- Brown, R., & Holmes, H. (1986). The use of a factor-analytic procedure for assessing the validity of an employee safety climate model. Accident Analysis & Prevention, 18(6), 455-470.
- Burton-Jones, A., & Grange, C. (2013). From use to effective use: a representation theory perspective. Information Systems Research, 24(3), 632-658 .
- Charvat, J. (2003). Project management methodologies: selecting, implementing, and supporting methodologies and processes for projects.
- Choo, C. W. (2002). Information management for the intelligent organization: the art of scanning the environment. Information Today, Inc.
- Davis, F. D., Bagozzi, R. P., & Warshaw, P. R. (1989). User acceptance of computer technology: A comparison of two theoretical models Management Science, 35, 982-1003
- DeLone, W. H., & McLean, E. R. (2003). The DeLone and McLean model of information system success: a ten-year update. Journal of Management Information Systems, 19(4), 9–30.
- Francis, M. (2011). A model for assessing the anticipated relative financial impact of implementing the tools of lean manufacturing on a manufacturing cencern.
- Gartner Group (2005). Delivering IT’s Contribution: The 2005 CIO Agenda. Gartner EXP Premier Reports. Gartner, Inc. Stamford.
- Gasson, S., & Waters, J. (2013). Using a grounded theory approach to study online collaboration behaviors. European Journal of Information Systems, 22(1), 95-118.
- Genc, E., Dayan, M., & Genc, O. F. (2019). The impact of SME internationalization on innovation: the mediating role of market and entrepreneurial orientation. Industrial Marketing Management, 82, 253-264.
- Hassan, N. R., & Mathiassen, L. (2018). Distilling a body of knowledge for information systems development. Information Systems Journal, 28(1), 175-226.
- Karim, A. J. (2011). Project management information systems (PMIS) factors: an empirical study of their impact on project management decision making (PMDM) performance. Research Journal of Economics, Business and ICT, 2.
- Kerzner, H. (2017). Project management: a systems approach to planning, scheduling, and controlling. John Wiley & Sons.
- Kim, S., Kim, S., Tang, L. C. M., & Kim, G.-H. (2013). Efficient management of construction process using RFID+ PMIS system: a case study. Applied Mathematics & Information Sciences, 7(1), 19-26.
- Kostalova, J., Tetrevova, L., & Svedik, J. (2015). Support of project management methods by project management information system. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 210, 96-104.
- Lino, J. C., & Valente, I. (2020). A Conceptual Framework for effective BIM-enabled Information Management in Railways.
- Ma, J., Harstvedt, J. D., Jaradat, R., & Smith, B. (2020). Sustainability driven multi-criteria project portfolio selection under uncertain decision-making environment. Computers & Industrial Engineering, 140, 106236.
- Moniruzzaman, A., & Hossain, D. S. A. (2013). Comparative Study on Agile software development methodologies. arXiv preprint arXiv:1307.3356.
- Morosan, C. (2014). Toward an integrated model of adoption of mobile phones for purchasing ancillary services in air travel. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management.
- Rad, P. F., & Levin, G. (2002). The advanced project management office: a comprehensive look at function and implementation. CRC press.
- Rauniar, R., Rawski, G., Yang, J., & Johnson, B. (2014). Technology acceptance model (TAM) and social media usage: an empirical study on Facebook. Journal of Enterprise Information Management.
- Raymond, L., & Bergeron, F. (2008). Project management information systems: an empirical study of their impact on project managers and project success. International Journal of Project Management, 26(2), 213-220.
- Salvi, D., Montalva Colomer, J. B., Arredondo, M. T., Prazak-Aram, B., & Mayer, C. (2015). A framework for evaluating Ambient Assisted Living technologies and the experience of the universAAL project. Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Smart Environments, 7(3), 329-352.
- Serrador, P., & Pinto, J. K. (2015). Does Agile work?—A quantitative analysis of agile project success. International Journal of Project Management, 33(5), 1040-1051.
- Silva, L., & Hirschheim, R. (2007). Fighting against windmills: strategic information systems and organizational deep structures. MIS Quarterly, 327-354.
- Silvius, A. G., Kampinga, M., Paniagua, S., & Mooi, H. (2017). Considering sustainability in project management decision making: an investigation using Q-methodology. International Journal of Project Management, 35(6), 1133-1150.
- Todorović, M. L., Petrović, D. Č., Mihić, M. M., Obradović, V. L., & Bushuyev, S. D. (2015). Project success analysis framework: A knowledge-based approach in project management. International Journal of Project Management, 33(4), 772-783.
- Topi, H., Kaiser, K. M., Sipior, J. C., Valacich, J. S., Nunamaker Jr, J. F., de Vreede, G., & Wright, R. (2010). Curriculum guidelines for undergraduate degree programs in information systems: ACM.
- Verzuh, E. (2015). The fast forward MBA in project management: John Wiley & Sons.
- Zahedi, M. R., & Khanachah, S. N. (2020). The effect of knowledge management processes on organizational innovation through intellectual capital development in Iranian industrial organizations. Journal of Science and Technology Policy Management.
- Zahedi, M. R., & Naghdi Khanachah, S. (2019). Measuring the Impact of Organizational Social Capital on Organizational Innovation(Case Study: Iran Khodro Industrial Group).
- Zahedi, M. R., & Naghdi Khanachah, S. (2020). Designing and implementing a model of organizational readiness assessment to become a knowledge-based organization(Case study an Iranian research center).