Locus of control: an employee job embeddedness implication for bankers in Nigeria
Purpose: This study examined the relationship between Locus of Control (LOC) and Employee Embeddedness (EE) in Nigeria's selected commercial banks.
Research Methodology: The study adopted a survey research design with a population of 400 employees. The sample size was 190 was determined using Krejcie and Morgan formula. A questionnaire was the instrument for data collection, while the analysis was carried out using descriptive and inferential statistics. The hypothesis was tested at a 5% level of significance,
Results: Internal LOC has a statistically significant effect on sacrifice (R = .976; R-Square = .952; p-value < 0.05). Internal LOC makes it possible for employees to be more entangled in the organization, thereby making exiting the firms more difficult.
Limitations: Data was not collected from different regions in Nigeria, hence limiting the study's generalizability.
Contribution: This study represents the most recent LOC work, and it is novel in relating LOC to EE in Nigeria.
Keywords: Locus of Control, Internal LOC, Employee job embeddedness, Sacrifice
- Akintayo, D. (2012). Locus of Control and job satisfaction as predictors of Perceived non-teaching staffs` productivity in higher institutions in Ogun state, Nigeria. Global Advanced Research Journal of Management and Business Studies, 1(6), 181-187.
- Boondhalir & Sajeethkumar (2020). Study on work locus of control and occupational stress among employees. Journal of Information and Computational Science, 10(8), 452-464.
- Charlier, S. D., Guay, R. P., & Zimmerman, R. D. (2016). 'Plugged in or disconnected? A model of the effects of technological factors on employee job embeddedness'. Human Resource Management 55(1), 109–126.
- Dayo, A. I. (2012). Locus of Control and job satisfaction as predictors of Perceived non-teaching staffs` productivity in higher institutions in Ogun State, Nigeria. Global Advanced Research Journal of Management and
- Business Studies, 1(6), 181-187.
- Ferreira, N., & Coetzee, M. (2014). Psychological career resources as predictors of employees' job embeddedness: An exploratory study. South African Journal of Labour Relations 38(2), 9–26.
- Forte, A. (2005). Locus of Control and the moral reasoning of managers. Journal of Business Ethics, 58(1), 65-77.
- Hakan, C. (2016). A research on the relationship between job embeddedness with performance and burnout of academicians in Turkey. Journal of Business and Management, 18(3), 68-80.
- Holtom, B. C., Mitchell, T. R., & Lee, T. W. (2006). Increasing human and social capital by applying job embeddedness theory. Organizational Dynamics, 35, 316–331.
- Jeloudar&Lotfi-Goodarzi (2012). Predicting teachers' locus of control and job performance among MA and BA teachers senior secondary schools. International Journal of Humanities and Social Science, 2(12), 248-252.
- Karimi &Alipour (2011). Reduce job stress in organizations: role of locus of control. International Journal of Business and Social Science, 2(18), 232-236
- Khushk (2019). Impact of Locus of Control (LOC) and organizational commitment on employee performance- study of service sector, Pakistan. International Journal of Law and Peace Works, 6(5), 1-6.
- Kobersy, I., Khasiyeva, L., Yakhina, V., Ignaryeva, O., Goloshchapova, L, Shkurkin, D.,& Sadykova, L. (2016). Approaches to implementation of motivation as the complex conditions of increase of efficiency of social and labour relations. International Review of Management and Marketing, 6(S1), 208-217.
- Kreitner, R., & Kinicki, A. (2014). Perilaku organisasi. Edisi 9. Jakarta: Salemba Empat.
- Krejcie, R.V.,& Morgan, D.W. (1970). Determining sample size for research activities. Educational and psychological measurement, 30, 607-610.
- Kusuma, A. H. P., & Syam, A. H. (2018). The Main Role of Locus of Control and Professional Ethics on Lecturer's Performance (Indonesian Lecturer Empirical Study). International Review of Management and Marketing, 8(5), 9-17.
- Leone, Christopher & Burns, Joseph. (2000). The Measurement of Locus of Control: Assessing More Than Meets the Eye?. The Journal of psychology, 134. 63-76. 10.1080/00223980009600849.
- Levenson, H. (1981). Differentiating among internality, powerful others, and chance. In H. M. Lefcourt (Ed.), Research with the Locus of Control construct (Vol. 1, pp. 15-63). New York: Academic Press.
- Lewin, K. (1951). Field theory in social science, (pp. 346). Oxford, England: Harper.
- Likert, R. (1932). A technique for the measurement of attitudes. Archives of Psychology, 22(140), 1-55.
- Manichander, T. (2014). Locus of Control and performance: Widening Applicabilities. Indian Journal of Research, 3(2), 84-86.
- Menezes, A.A. (2008), Analisis dampak Locus of Control terhadap kinerja dan kepuasan kerja internal auditor (Penelitian terhadap internal auditor di Jawa Tengah). Semarang: Universitas Diponegoro.
- Mitchell T. R., Holtom, B. C., Lee, T. W., Sablynski, C. J., & Erez, M. (2001). Why people stay: using job embeddedness to predict voluntary turnover. Academy of Management Journal, 44(6), 1102–1121.
- Munir, S.,& Sajid, M.(2010). Examining Locus of Control (LOC) as a determinant of organizational commitment among University Professors in Pakistan. Journal of Business Studies Quarterly, 1(3), 78-93. Retrieved from: http://jbsq.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/JBSQ_4F.pdf
- Olusegun, S. O. (2013). Influence of job satisfaction on turnover intentions of library personnel in selected Universities in South-West Nigeria. Nebraska: University of Nebraska-Lincoln.
- Onyeizugbe, C., &Asiegbu, O. B. (2017). Job embeddedness and employee performance of selected commercial banks in Anambra State. Pyrex Journal of Business Management Research, 3(1), 8-16.
- Poespowidjojo, D. L., Noor, J., & Yaacob, M. R. (2019). Internal Locus of Control affect job performance of commercial television in Indonesia context mediation of job embeddedness. International Journal of Innovative Technology and Exploring Engineering, 8(7S2), 368-374.
- Rehman, S. M. (2012). Employee Turnover and retention strategies: a empirical study of public sector organizations in Pakistan. Global Journal of Management and Business Research, 12(1), 83-89.
- Rum, M. (2012). Locus of Control, innovation, performance of the business people in the small business and medium industries in south Sulawesi. Journal of Economics, Business, and Accountancy Ventura, 15(3), 373 – 388.
- Soleh, A., Noviantoro, R., & Putrafinaldo, D. (2020). The effect of Locus of Control and communication toward employee performance. Management Sustainable Development Journal, 2(2), 41-52.
- Spector, P. E. (1988), Development of the Work Locus of Control Scale. Journal of Occupational Psychology, 61, 335–340.
- Srivatsava, A.K., & Singh, A. P. (1981). Construction and standardization of an occupational stress index: A pilot study. Indian Journal of Clinical Psychology, 8(2), 133- 136
- Suherlan, Q. A., Wahyuni, S., & Hazairin, A. G. (2017). Relationship between Locus of Control and organizational commitment (Study on employee of multifinance company PT. X Makassar branch). Advances in Social Science, Education and Humanities Research, 127, 209-212
- Takawira, N., Coetzee, M., Schreuder, D. (2014). Job embeddedness, work engagement and turnover intention of staff in a higher education institution: An exploratory study. South African Journal of Human Resource Management, 12 (1).
- Thomas W. H. N., Kelly, l. S., & Lillian T. E., (2006). Locus of Control at work: a meta-analysis. Journal of Organizational Behaviour, 27, 107–118.
- Vijayashreea, L., & Jagdischchandra, M. V. (2011). Locus of Control and job satisfaction: PSU employees. Serbian Journal of Management 6(2), 193–203.
- Wageeh, N. (2015). Meta-Analysis of the Impact of job embeddedness on employee attitudes and employee performance: a study on commercial banks in Egypt. International Journal of Business and Management, 10(2), 196-213.
- Wang, P., & Ye, X. (2013). A review of job embeddedness: conceptual, measurement, and relative study conclusions. International Academic Workshop on Social Science (IAW-SC)
- Yasir, S. (2011). Government employees turnover related to job embeddedness. Interdisciplinary Journal of Contemporary Research in Business, 3(8), 226-234.
- Yuwono, H., Eliyana, A., Buchdadi, A. D., Hamidah, Sariwulan, T., &Handicapilano, R. T. (2020). The effect of Locus of Control on employees' job satisfaction. Systematic Reviews in Pharmacy, 11(8), 43-50.