Knowledge sharing behavior as mediating role on openness to experience and innovative work behavior
Purpose: This study aimed to examine the mediating effect of knowledge sharing behavior on the relationship between openness to experience and innovative work behavior on students at the University of Indonesia.
Research methodology: Quantitative approach with a cross-sectional study was employed for the research. The study population consisted of 306 students in Universitas Indonesia. Data were elicited through a questionnaire with convenience sampling technique while the analysis was carried out using PROCESS by Hayes.
Results: The results of this study revealed that knowledge sharing behavior has a partially mediating role in the relationship between openness to experience and innovative work behavior.
Limitations: The challenge was the unevenness sample from each faculty, most of the students selected for the study through a random method were from the Faculty of Psychology. This could affect the generalizability of the findings.
Contribution: The results of this study can be used as a reference for training innovation programs that will be given to Universitas Indonesia students for the purpose of making them better prepared to innovate.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
- Adair, J. E. (2007). The art of creative thinking: How to be innovative and develop great ideas. Kogan Page Publishers.
- Agyemang, F. G., Dzandu, M. D., & Boateng, H. (2016). Knowledge sharing among teachers: the role of the Big Five Personality traits. VINE Journal of Information and Knowledge Management Systems.
- Akram, T., Lei, S., Haider, M. J., & Hussain, S. T. (2020). The impact of organizational justice on employee innovative work behavior: Mediating role of knowledge sharing. Journal of Innovation & Knowledge, 5(2), 117-129.
- Alijoyo, A. (2019). VUCA-Konteks Risiko Masa Kini. Retrieved from https://irmapa.org/vuca-konteks-risiko-masa-kini/
- Anderson, N., De Dreu, C. K., & Nijstad, B. A. (2004). The routinization of innovation research: A constructively critical review of the state?of?the?science. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 25(2), 147-173.
- Anwar, C. (2017). Linkages between personality and knowledge sharing behavior in workplace: Mediating role of affective states. Economics and Management.
- Cabrera, A., Collins, W. C., & Salgado, J. F. (2006). Determinants of individual engagement in knowledge sharing. The International Journal of Human Resource Management, 17(2), 245-264.
- Charband, Y., & Navimipour, N. J. (2018). Knowledge sharing mechanisms in the education: A systematic review of the state of the art literature and recommendations for future research. Kybernetes.
- Chen, I. Y., Chen, N.-S., & Kinshuk. (2009). Examining the factors influencing participants' knowledge sharing behavior in virtual learning communities. Journal of Educational Technology & Society, 12(1), 134-148.
- Davenport, T. H., & Prusak, L. (1998). Working knowledge: How organizations manage what they know. Harvard Business Press.
- Deichmann, D., Moser, C., & van den Ende, J. (2021). Talk, talk, talk: Exploring idea conversations and the micro-level foundations of knowledge sharing for innovation. Innovation, 23(3), 287-313.
- Elizabeth, T. (2014). Analisis knowledge sharing pada mahasiswa program studi teknik informatika stmik gi mdp. Creative Information Technology Journal, 1(4), 296-305.
- Etikariena, A. (2019). Pengaruh Knowledge Sharing Behavior terhadap Perilaku Inovatif di Tempat Kerja pada Karyawan PT X dan PT Y. Jurnal Psikogenesis, 7(2), 116-128.
- Etikariena, A. (2020). Encouraging innovative work behavior among college students through quality education to succeed the SDGs. Paper presented at the E3S Web of Conferences.
- Gravetter, F. J., & Forzano, L.-A. B. (2011). Research Methods for the Behavioral Sciences: PSY 200 (300) Quantitative Methods in Psychology Series. Western Cengage Learning, 151-152.
- Guo, J., Su, Q., & Zhang, Q. (2017). Individual creativity during the ideation phase of product innovation: An interactional perspective. Creativity and Innovation Management, 26(1), 31-48.
- Hammond, M. M., Neff, N. L., Farr, J. L., Schwall, A. R., & Zhao, X. (2011). Predictors of individual-level innovation at work: A meta-analysis. Psychology of Aesthetics, Creativity, and the Arts, 5(1), 90.
- Janssen, O. (2000). Job demands, perceptions of effort?reward fairness and innovative work behaviour. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 73(3), 287-302.
- Javed, B., Khan, A. K., Arjoon, S., Mashkoor, M., & Haque, A. u. (2020). Openness to experience, ethical leadership, and innovative work behavior. The Journal of Creative Behavior, 54(1), 211-223.
- Jehanzeb, K., & Bashir, N. A. (2013). Training and development program and its benefits to employee and organization: A conceptual study. European Journal of Business and Management, 5(2).
- Kanter, R. M. (1988). Three tiers for innovation research. Communication Research, 15(5), 509-523.
- Khusnah, N. A. (2020). Kepribadian Openness to Experience dan Kemampuan Berpikir Divergent dengan Perilaku Inovatif pada UKM MRC dan UKM WSC di Politeknik Perkapalan Negeri Surabaya. UIN Sunan Ampel Surabaya.
- Kim, W., & Park, J. (2017). Examining structural relationships between work engagement, organizational procedural justice, knowledge sharing, and innovative work behavior for sustainable organizations. Sustainability, 9(2), 205.
- Kundu, A., & Roy, D. D. (2016). Innovative Work Behaviour of School Teachers: Role of Belief for Innovation and Personality Patterns. Journal of Organisation & Human Behaviour, 5(1).
- Lin, K.-J., Hsieh, Y.-H., & Lian, W.-S. (2018). Knowledge sharing and personality traits moderated by transformational leadership. Human Systems Management, 37(1), 67-80.
- Lotfi, M., Muktar, S. N. B., Ologbo, A. C., & Chiemeke, K. C. (2016). The influence of the big-five personality traits dimensions on knowledge sharing behavior. Mediterranean Journal of Social Sciences, 7(1 S1), 241.
- Madrid, H. P., Patterson, M. G., Birdi, K. S., Leiva, P. I., & Kausel, E. E. (2014). The role of weekly high?activated positive mood, context, and personality in innovative work behavior: A multilevel and interactional model. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 35(2), 234-256.
- McCrae, R. R., Costa, J., Paul T, & Martin, T. A. (2005). The NEO–PI–3: A more readable revised NEO personality inventory. Journal of Personality Assessment, 84(3), 261-270.
- McCrae, R. R., & Costa Jr, P. T. (1997). Conceptions and correlates of openness to experience Handbook of personality psychology (pp. 825-847): Elsevier.
- Munir, R., & Beh, L.-S. (2019). Measuring and enhancing organisational creative climate, knowledge sharing, and innovative work behavior in startups development. The Bottom Line.
- Nguyen, T., Nguyen, K., & Do, T. (2019). Knowledge sharing and innovative work behavior: The case of Vietnam. Uncertain Supply Chain Management, 7(4), 619-634.
- Nijenhuis, K. (2015). Impact factors for innovative work behavior in the public sector: The case of the Dutch Fire Department. University of Twente.
- Nisar ul Haq, M., & Haque, M. (2018). Investigating the Knowledge Sharing among students in Pakistan. European Online Journal of Natural and Social Sciences: Proceedings, 7(1 (s)), pp. 32-39.
- Piedmont, R. L. (1998). The revised NEO Personality Inventory: Clinical and research applications. Springer Science & Business Media.
- Radaelli, G., Lettieri, E., Mura, M., & Spiller, N. (2014). Knowledge sharing and innovative work behaviour in healthcare: A micro?level investigation of direct and indirect effects. Creativity and Innovation Management, 23(4), 400-414.
- Raihana, R., & Salim, T. A. (2020). Knowledge Sharing Pada Mahasiswa Baru. Jurnal IPI (Ikatan Pustakawan Indonesia), 5(2), 285-292.
- Satria. (2020). UGM Pertahankan Gelar Juara Umum PIMNAS ke-33. Retrieved from https://www.ugm.ac.id/id/berita/20431-ugm-pertahankan-gelar-juara-umum-pimnas-ke-33
- Scott, S. G., & Bruce, R. A. (1994). Determinants of innovative behavior: A path model of individual innovation in the workplace. Academy of Management Journal, 37(3), 580-607.
- Setiawan, N. (2017). Hadapi VUCA, Brand Perlu Pikirkan untuk Back to Basic. Retrieved from https://www.marketeers.com/jelang-mpc18-cmclub-jakarta-bahas-vuca/
- Swanson, E., Kim, S., Lee, S.-M., Yang, J.-J., & Lee, Y.-K. (2020). The effect of leader competencies on knowledge sharing and job performance: Social capital theory. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management, 42, 88-96.
- Tan, C. S., Lau, X. S., Kung, Y. T., & Kailsan, R. A. L. (2019). Openness to experience enhances creativity: The mediating role of intrinsic motivation and the creative process engagement. The Journal of Creative Behavior, 53(1), 109-119.
- Whiting, K. (2020). These are the top 10 job skills of tomorrow – and how long it takes to learn them. Retrieved from https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/10/top-10-work-skills-of-tomorrow-how-long-it-takes-to-learn-them/
- Widiarini, A. Faktor Pentingnya Inovasi untuk Keberlangsungan Bisnis. Kompas. com.
- Zhong, X., & Liu, Z. (2014). Studies on creativity enhancement of contemporary college students. Paper presented at the 3rd International Conference on Science and Social Research (ICSSR 2014).
- Zubaidah, N. (2022). UI Jadi Perguruan Tinggi Terbaik di Indonesia Versi Webometrics. Retrieved from https://edukasi.okezone.com/read/2022/01/12/65/2531035/ui-jadi-perguruan-tinggi-terbaik-di-indonesia-versi-webometrics
- Zuraik, A., Kelly, L., & Dyck, L. R. (2020). Individual innovative work behaviour: Effects of personality, team leadership and climate in the us context. International Journal of Innovation Management, 24(05), 2050078.