Job Crafting, a brain drain antidote in Public Universities in Nigeria
Purpose: This study examined job crafting (JC) and the role it could play in reducing brain drain in universities in Nigeria.
Research Methodology: -it adopted a survey research design, with its population consisting of 8051 academic staff of six selected universities in the Southeast. A sample size of 367 was determined using Krejcie and Morgan’s (1970) formula. The source of data collection was a structured questionnaire. A combination of descriptive and inferential statistics was used for data analysis.
Results–among others, the result revealed that there are ways academics can craft their jobs in universities in Nigeria and that there is a significant mean difference among the various dimensions of job crafting activities carried out by academics.
Limitations: The study looked at a particular section of Nigeria, thereby, limiting the inference power of the findings.
Contributions: None of the previous studies seem to have focused solely on how job crafting is done and which one is more prominent among lecturers in Nigeria. Similarly, none also appear to have looked at job crafting and how it can be used to reduce brain drain in Nigerian Universities.
- Arachie, Agbaeze, Nzewi, and Agbasi. (2021). Job crafting, a bottom-up job characteristic of academics with an embeddedness potential. Management Research Review. DOI 10.1108/MRR-07-2020-0432.
- Bakker, A. B., & Demerouti, E. (2007). The job demands-resources model: State of the art. Journal of Managerial Psychology, 22, 309–328.
- Bakker, A. B., & Oerlemans, W. G. M. (2019). Daily job crafting and momentary work engagement: A self-determination and self-regulation perspective. Journal of Vocational Behavior, 112(2019), 417–430.
- Berg J. M., Dutton J. E&Wrzesniewski, A. (2013).Job crafting and meaningful work. In: Dik B.J., Byrne Z.S. & Steger M.F. (Editors) Purpose and Meaning in the Workplace. American Psychological Association, Washington DC, 81-104.
- Bowling, N. A. (2012). Creating sustained job satisfaction: Descriptive and prescriptive perspectives on job crafting and the quest for happiness at work. Manuscript submitted for publication.
- Chandrani, S., & Ruchi, K. (2017), Workplace Well-Being: The Role of Job Crafting, Perceived Organizational Support and Perceived Autonomy Support. The International Journal of Indian Psychology, 90-99.
- Debus, M.E., Gross, C.,&Kleinmann, M. (2019). The power of doing: how job crafting transmits the beneﬁcial impact of autonomy among overqualiﬁed employees, Journal of Business and Psychology, 35(3), doi: 10.1007/s10869-019-09625-y.
- Dutton, J. E., &Heaphy, E. D. (2003). The power of high-quality connections. In: Cameron, K. S., Dutton, J. E., Quinn, R. E. (Eds.) Positive Organizational Scholarship (pp. 3-13). San Francisco, CA: Berrett-Koehler.
- Grant, A. M., & Ashford, S. J. (2008). The dynamics of proactivity at work. Research in Organizational Behaviour, 28, 3-34.
- Grifﬁn, M. A., Neal, A., & Parker, S. K. (2007). A new model of work role performance: Positive behaviour in uncertain and interdependent contexts. Academy of Management Journal, 50, 327–347.
- Hom, P. W., Mitchell, T. R., Lee, T. W., &Griffeth, R. W. (2012). Reviewing employee turnover: focusing on proximal withdrawal states and an expanded criterion. Psychological Bulletin, 138(5), 831– 58.
- Huffman, A. H., Casper, W. J., & Payne, S. C. (2014). How does spouse career support relate to employee turnover? Work interfering with family and job satisfaction as mediators. Journal of Organizational Behaviour, 35(2), 194–212.
- Kirkendall, C. D. (2013). "Job Crafting: The pursuit of happiness at work". browse all theses and dissertations. Paper 705.
- Krejcie, R. V., & Morgan, D. W., (1970). Determining sample size for research activities. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 30, 607-610.
- Law, P. (2010). Examination of the actual turnover decisions of female auditors in public accounting. Managerial Auditing Journal, 25(5), 484–502.
- Maertz, C. P., & Boyar, S. L. (2012).Theory-driven development of a comprehensive turnover-attachment motive survey. Human Resource Management, 51(1), 71–98.
- Maynard, D. C., &Parfyonova, N. M. (2013). Perceived over-qualification and withdrawal behaviours: Examining the roles of job attitudes and work values. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 86(3),435–455.
- Robledo, E., Zappalà, S., &Topa, G. (2019). Job crafting as a mediator between work engagement and wellbeing outcomes: A Time-lagged study. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 16(1376), 1-15.
- Slemp, G. R.,& Vella-Brodrick, D. A. (2013). The job crafting questionnaire: A new scale to measure the extent to which employees engage in job crafting. International Journal of Wellbeing, 3(2), 126-146.
- Steel, R. P., & Lounsbury, J. W. (2009). Turnover process models: Review and synthesis of a conceptual literature. Human Resource Management Review, 19(4), 271–282.
- Surbhi, D.,&Chandrani, S. (2017). The Role of job characteristics, job crafting and work engagement on job performance: a study on service industry. Journal of Humanities and Social Science, 22(17)36-42.
- Tims, M., & Bakker, A. B. (2010). Job crafting: Towards a new model of individual job redesign. South African Journal of Industrial Psychology, 36,1-9.
- Tims, M., Bakker, A. B., &Daantje, D. (2014). “Daily job crafting and the self-efficacy performance relationship”. Journal of Managerial Psychology, 29(4), 490 -507.
- Tims, M., Bakker, A. B., & Derks, D. (2012). Development and validation of the job crafting scale. Journal of Vocational Behaviour, 80(1), 173–186.
- Torrington, D., Hall, L., Taylor, S., & Atkinson, C. (2011). Human Resource Management. 8th Edition. Harlow: Pearson.
- Ulabor, E. A., & Bosede, A. I. (2019). Employee commitment and organizational performance in selected fast food outlets in osun state. International Journal of Financial, Accounting, and Management, 1(1), 23-37.
- Van-Wingerden, J., Derks, D., & Bakker, A. B. (2015). The impact of personal resources and job crafting interventions on work engagement and performance. Human Resource Management, 56(1), 51-67.
- Villajos, A., García-Ael, C., &Topa, G. (2019). Job crafting among labour union representatives: its impact on work engagement and job satisfaction. Social Science, 8(20), 1-11.
- Wrzensniewski, A., & Dutton, J. E. (2001). Crafting a Job: revisioning Employees as active crafters of their work. The Academic of Management Review, 26(2), 179—201.
- Wrzesniewski, A,.LoBuglio, N., Dutton, J., & Berg, J. (2013). Job crafting and cultivating positive meaning and identity in work. Advances in Positive Organizational Psychology, 1, 281–302.
- Yin-Fah, B. C., Foon, Y. S., Chee-Leong, L., & Osman, L. (2010) An Exploratory Study on Turnover Intention among Private Sector Employees. International Journal of Business and Management, 5(8), 57-64.